Author Amanda Flower is here on Crafty Thursday to help is build the perfect holiday tree completely out of books. Amanda has been a frequent Mystery Playground contributor on everything from Drinks with Reads to Amish Christmas Traditions and instructions for pin cushion jars. She has two wonderful series of Amish mysteries, a civil war enactment mystery series and a children's series - many of which you can see stacked in the tree above.
Around the holidays book trees are popping in libraries and bookstore across the country. Here’s a quick step by step to make you own. Or you can watch this video:
-Books of varying sizes and weights (You always need more than you think)
-Tree topper of your choice
1) Create a ring on the floor of the largest books that you have.
2) Fill that ring with books of similar thickness.
|Editor Cheeps Supervises the Book Tree Creation|
3) Start adding more rings of the books on top of that one. Each ring is slightly smaller than the last to create the tree shape.
4) Continue to fill the inside of the tree with smaller books. Mass market paperbacks are great for this.
5) For the top or the tree, stack single books.
6) Wrap twinkle lights around the tree.
7) Wrap garland around the tree
8) Add tree topper of choice.
Amanda Flower, a three-time Agatha-nominated mystery author, started her writing career in elementary school when she read a story she wrote to her sixth-grade class and had the class in stitches with her description of being stuck on the top of a Ferris wheel. She knew at that moment she’d found her calling of making people laugh with her words. Amanda is a librarian in Northeast Ohio. She also writes as USA Today Bestselling Author Isabella Alan.